Re: [20/80] ALSA: lx6464es - fix device communication via commandbus

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Dec 09 2011 - 18:17:46 EST

Sorry for the late reply. With baby prep and everything going on I'm a
bit ADD.

On 12/07/2011 10:09 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I agree in principle, although I am really not happy about the idea of
>> disallowing 64-bit writes from device drivers that haven't explicitly
>> indicated they won't support it.
>
> I'd really prefer going in the other direction. Especially since
> 64-bit writes would be optional *anyway* (ie impossible on 32-bit
> hosts). So a driver should explicitly say "I can do 64-bit stuff"
> rather than having to say "I cannot do it".
>
> And if a driver *has* to have 64-bit accesses, it had better do them
> all by hand, using "writeq()" and being dependent on the architecture
> actually having that support. No "memcpy_toio" and friends at all.
>
> So adding a "memcpy_toio64()" that defaults to the normal 32-bit max
> but *might* do 64-bit copies sounds fine to me. But we really should
> default to something that is consistent across architectures, and that
> is not 64-bit accesses.

I feel a bit funny about memcpy_toio64() being able to *not* to 64-bit
copies... it feels like it really violates the assumptions.

What I would suggest, technically is:

- memcpy_toio() becomes a legacy alias for memcpy_toio32().
- memcpy_toio32() and memcpy_toio64() are defined to do exactly
those reference sizes. If the platform can't do 64-bit I/O
then memcpy_toio64 is undefined (like readq/writeq).
- we introduce memcpy_toio_fast() which is explicitly allowed to do any
kind of references, including larger than 64 bits if supported in
future CPUs.

However, I *also* found that we have a metric boatload of partially
overlapping redundant aliases:

iowrite{8,16,32}_rep()
[but iowrite64_rep() is missing]

__iowrite{32,64}_copy()

memcpy_toio()

What I have proposed to memcpy_toio{32,64}() pretty much matches
__iowrite_{32,64}_copy() and those functions should probably be
renamed... not sure what the sane thing to do with the iowrite functions
is here.

-hpa