Re: PCIe Hotplugging not working

From: John Stoffel
Date: Sat Dec 10 2011 - 14:36:10 EST

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Greg> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:17:53PM -0800, Anand Kanaginhal wrote:

>> > Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 10:07:08 -0800
>> > From: greg@xxxxxxxxx
>> > To: anand_dk@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> > CC: mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx; linux-pci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
>> linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-hotplug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > Subject: Re: PCIe Hotplugging not working

>> probe
>> >
>> > Stop right here. Please get your pci hotplug controller driver working
>> > first, for your platform. That seems to be the problem. After that,
>> > the rest of your questions should just resolve themselves.
>> Thank you Greg for your assistance, perhaps it would be little more helpful, if
>> you could tell me the basis on which you drew the conclusion. I am no kernel
>> expert :(

Greg> As your driver's callbacks aren't being called, that's probably why this
Greg> isn't working.

Greg> Please make sure your pci hotplug driver is working first. Try turning
Greg> on and off the power to the card slot (in the sysfs directory for the
Greg> slot) and see if that's working.

Greg> You also have failed to say exactly what pci hotplug controller
Greg> you have in your system, what is it? You have to have one, and
Greg> the driver loaded for it, for any of this to work at all.

And it would make sense to test your hotplug setup with a known
working card that *does* support hotplugging properly already. Then
you know your setup works and you can then concentrate on getting your
new card working.

John