Re: [RFC] vtunerc: virtual DVB device - is it ok to NACK driver becauseof worrying about possible misusage?

From: Peter martin
Date: Sun Dec 11 2011 - 13:45:39 EST

One thing I have not seen addressed here is security. I've had a brief scan of the code, but there does not appear to be any mechanism to authenticate/authorise remote access to the vtunerc devices. In a home entertainment environment, this is not too serious, but In a non-closed network, for example a commercial installation in a hotel, what is to stop a rogue client from accessing a tuner and potentially causing mischief by changing settings, More seriously pulling a full MPTS of decrypted content from a CI card, which would make content providers most unhappy!

I don't know enough about kernel modules doing networking, but do the packets go through the iptables route, and do things like DSCP still get taken note of?

vtunerc sounds like a neat idea, but I am worried by the back doors it opens up. Sorry if I've missed something obvious here!

Pete Martin