Re: trace_printk is doing weird things with my arguments

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Mon Dec 12 2011 - 14:57:22 EST

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 13:59 -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using trace_printk() to hash out where I want to put trace points so I
> can do leak detection in the btrfs space accounting code. This has worked out
> wonderfully, except in the case where I have trace_printk()'s towards the end of
> umount() which is where everything gets freed up. After a lot of screwing
> around I ended up with this in one of the functions
>
> trace_printk("%pU is being released, fsinfo=%p\n", fs_info->fsid, fs_info);
> printk(KERN_ERR "%pU is releaseing global_rsv\n", fs_info->fsid);
>
> and then in my trace output I got this (I've cut the unnecessary line beginning)
>
> 0080880d-0488-ffff-0a0a-0a0a0a0a0a0a is being released, fsinfo=ffff88040d88b000
>
> and in dmesg I got this
>
> 4e78b2a8-707a-4eef-97d5-11c0aa1b8f29 is releaseing global_rsv
>
> The dmesg has the right fsid, and I have a ton of trace_printk()'s in
> close_ctree() which is the function that we call from ->put_super, and all of
> them will either randomly have the right fsid, they will all have the wrong
> fsid, or some mixture, like half will have the right one but the last half will
> not. The '0a' repeating thing is because i put a memset(fs_info, 0xa,
> sizeof(*fsinfo)) in our freeing function because I thought we were screwing up,
> but it looks like trace_printk is somehow not trying to fill in the arguments
> until after the arguments have been freed, which seems wrong and is screwing me
> up ;). Any thoughts? Thanks,

Yes, that's the way trace_printk defaults to work. It really is a
trace_bprintk(). In order for trace_printk to be as little impact as
possible on recording, it only records as little as possible.

Although, I thought it would at least save the arguments at the point of
time that they are recorded, this looks like it doesn't even do that.

Can you try this:

In your code after all the includes add:

#undef trace_printk
#define trace_printk(fmt, args...) __trace_printk(_THIS_IP_, fmt, ##args)

This will process the format and arguments and place the final string
right into the buffer. Normal printk will post process things if it can.
Please let me know if the above works.

Thanks,

-- Steve