Re: Porting m68k/nommu to a new board.

From: Greg Ungerer
Date: Fri Dec 16 2011 - 05:57:34 EST

Hi Daniel,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 06:37, Daniel Palmer<me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm building a custom machine based around a 68sec000 (Fully static 68ec000).
The "board" is a bunch of parts at the moment but I have written a workable
simulator for the machine which I am using as a testbed for testing things
like my custom video, DMA controller etc before creating the hardware versions
in VHDL.

I'm interested in getting mmu-less m68k linux (what used to be known as
uclinux I guess, seems to be known as m68k/nommu now) running on the simulator
and later on the real hardware.

uclinux is/was mmuless support. m68knommu used to be the arch name for
m68k without mmu support. I just use Linux now, it has all been in
mainline for so long now.

From what I can tell the nommu m68k port is still active. But does it actually
work? All the details on similar hardware (like the older Palm pilots, Atari
machines) is pretty ancient, around 2.0. Does anyone have a machine running a
recent kernel? Were there issues getting it running?

I run on ColdFire parts all the time. Right up to 3.2-rc5 :-)
It works great. But I don't have or regularly use any original m68k
core hardware. I occasionally compile for the 68328 target, so it
will compile, can't be sure if it still runs though.

I did a bit of digging in the source and doesn't look like it should be too
difficult to add the specifics for my machine.. I have a 16550 style UART
emulated for I/O so I don't need to write a framebuffer driver at the moment.
I'm open to any suggestions people have on how to approach this though.

With the m68k and m68knommu arch code now merged it shouldn't
be too hard to enable/configure all the pieces you have. Might take
a little hacking to make it work, but it should be close.

Regards
Greg