Re: unexpected taint message

From: Larry Finger
Date: Fri Dec 16 2011 - 08:53:50 EST

On 12/16/2011 06:30 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 10:27 +0100, Arend van Spriel wrote:
To whoever may know,

Upon loading our driver module I get the following message:

kernel: [ 344.805106] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint

What exactly are the criteria for tainting? Our driver locking strategy
is something we want to refactor and having lock debugging during that
transition may be a life safer.

cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted

Please note that Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt is missing the explanation for two bits in the value printed:

2048 - The system is working around a severe firmware bug.
4096 - An out-of-tree module has been loaded.

On my system, bit 4096 is set due to loading the VirtualBox module, which disables lock debugging lock debugging. I suspect that loading VMware would cause the same condition.

I also found that loading brcmsmac did not trigger the license taint. I think you are OK with the dual license.

Larry