Re: memblock and bootmem problems if start + size = 4GB

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Mon Dec 19 2011 - 11:28:41 EST

Hello, Michal.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 02:58:13PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
> I have reached some problems with memblock and bootmem code for some configurations.
> We can completely setup the whole system and all addresses in it.
> The problem happens if we place main memory to the end of address space when
> mem_start + size reach 4GB limit.
>
> For example:
> mem_start 0xF000 0000
> mem_size 0x1000 0000 (or better lowmem size)
> mem_end 0xFFFF FFFF
> start + size 0x1 0000 0000 (u32 limit reached).
>
> I have done some patches which completely remove start + size values from architecture specific
> code but I have found some problem in generic code too.
>
> For example in bootmem code where are three places where physaddr + size is used.
> I would prefer to retype it to u64 because baseaddr and size don't need to be 2^n.
>
> Is it correct solution? If yes, I will create proper patch.

Yeah, that's an inherent problem in using [) ranges but I think
chopping off the last page probably is simpler and more robust
solution. Currently, memblock_add_region() would simply ignore if
address range overflows but making it just ignore the last page is
several lines of addition. Wouldn't that be effective enough while
staying very simple?

Thanks.

--
tejun