Re: [GIT PULL] slab fixes for 3.2-rc4

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Dec 20 2011 - 11:31:27 EST

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Tejun Heo wrote:

> This is __this_cpu_add() + preemption disabled check. Should be
> removed. Christoph, is there a use case where __this_cpu_XXX() is
> used without preemption disabled? Why doesn't it have preemption
> check?

We discussed this before and said that it would be possible to add a
preemption check there. We would need to verify that there is no use case
of __this_cpu_XXX operations in preemptable context. There used to be a
case where we did not care about the races for the vmstat counters but
that seems to have been changed. Not aware of any other use case like
that.