Re: [RFC 4/5] x86, perf: implements lwp-perf-integration (rc1)

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Wed Dec 21 2011 - 07:45:19 EST

On 12/21/2011 02:34 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> I think it can all be supported in a consistent way (see my
> previous mails) - but the feature as presented today just does
> not look useful enough to me if only supports that niche
> self-monitoring usecase.

I hate to re-enter this thread, but this "niche use case" is exactly
what LWP is designed for. And once the JVM is adapted to exploit LWP,
its use will dwarf all of the uses of perf put together (except the NMI
watchdog). You're only causing the developers needless pain by forcing
them to fit this red peg into a green hole.