Re: Question about missing "cld" in x86 string assembly code

From: nai.xia
Date: Thu Dec 22 2011 - 10:35:16 EST

On 2011å12æ18æ 01:08, Brian Gerst wrote:
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Nai Xia<nai.xia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Andi,

Seems I used a stale email address of you from a related git commit log,
so this is a resend, sorry.

=======
Hi,

I notice that all x86 assembly code for string operations containing
"scasb, lodsb", etc does not have "cld" at the beginning.
Is this 100% safe?
Or in other words, how could we be sure that
there is no "std" generated by compiler somewhere just before
the string operations?

Thanks,

Nai

The i386 ELF ABI states "The direction flag must be set to the
ââforwardââ (that is, zero) direction before entry and upon exit from
a function." Therefore it can be assumed to be clear, unless
explicitly set.

Hmm, I get those lines now. Thanks for reply.
Seems gcc started to strictly conform to this ABI since 4.3 . But glibc
seems still have some leading "cld" string code, maybe just prepared for
non-conforming kernels other than Linux.

--
Brian Gerst