Re: [GIT PULL] slab fixes for 3.2-rc4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 22 2011 - 13:31:56 EST

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Christoph Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Subject: [percpu] Remove irqsafe_cpu_xxx variants

This looks good, but just remove the whole silly "xyz_op_return()" set
too. Don't even try to fix it up.

As far as I can tell, there are just a couple of users of that
horrible interface, it really isn't worth it. Just remove it and
opencode it. They are actually broken on x86 ('xadd' only exists if
CONFIG_X86_XADD is on - i386 didn't have it), and while most people
probably don't care (i386? What's that?), I note that the x86
add_return stuff doesn't take that into account.

If somebody cares about the end result of the add that much, they can
damn well just do it themselves.

Linus