Re: [REGRESSION,STABLE,BISECTED] Hang on resume from standby in 3.1.[56],3.2-rc*

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Sat Dec 24 2011 - 14:47:31 EST

On 24.12.2011 20:51, Phil Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 03:09, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I noticed that my host also stopped resuming with 3.1, and noted that
>> with 3.1.3 it works ok. I'm now trying to revert this commit too, to
>> see if that's the problem.

Actually that wasn't the issue. After several iterations (which took
some time) I found out that I can't reproduce the hangs which I were
able to trigger trivially just yesterday. I can only guess these hangs
were due to some other software components (gnome, X stuff, whatever)
which happened to be upgraded today too, together with the kernel, and
the problem went away. I booted into kernel with which the system
definitely had the issue at hand (3.1.3), but it resumes from suspend
(both s2ram and s2disk) without any issue whatsoever, I did several
resumes of each kind in a row, intermixed them together.

> I first noticed this using Debian unstable's packaged kernels, which
> call themselves 3.x.0, but actually get revved through the stable
> versions 3.x.y (I'll probably complain about that misnaming to them).
> The upgrade from 3.1.4 to 3.1.5 is where it broke, matching the
> bisection's results.

So it looks like not all systems suffer from this issue...

Please excuse me for the noize -- it really looked like the kernel
broke.

Thanks,

/mjt