Re: Possible bug introduced in commit 9b84cca

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Thu Dec 29 2011 - 07:10:54 EST

On 12/29, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> On 12/28, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> >
> > Looks like after commit 9b84cca, waitpid under strace
> > sometimes returns bogus ECHILD while child does exist.
> >
> > I did not yet confirm that the bug appeared exactly
> > at this commit - Åukasz says that.
> >
> > I confirmed that bug exists on kernels 3.1.6 (in Fedora)
> > and 3.1.0-rc4 (vanilla).
> >
> > We have a testcase which spawns N threads, each of them
> > performs an infinite loop "fork, exit in child, waitpid
> > in parent for the child". When straced, sometimes waitpid
> > returns ECHILD.
>
> You mean, the natural parent gets ECHILD, not strace?
>
> > The key part is here:
> >
> > 931 clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, child_tidptr=0xf763dbd8) = 1048
> > 1048 exit_group(42) = ?
> > 931 waitpid(1048, <unfinished ...>
> > 1048 +++ exited with 42 +++
> > 931 <... waitpid resumed> 0xf763d3a0, 0) = -1 ECHILD (No child processes)
>
> Argh. I seem to understand
>
> I didn't check, but I think the offending commit is 823b018e5b1196d8
> "job control: Small reorganization of wait_consider_task()".
>
> ptracer sees EXIT_ZOMBIE and temporary sets EXIT_DEAD, this fools
> the ->real_parent.
>
> I need to think. The fix should be simple, but perhaps it is the
> time to kill EXIT_DEAD altogether. I'll try to make the patch
> after vacation. In the next year ;)
>
> Thanks a lot Denys!

I've made the simple test-case, it triggers the bug.

Oleg.

#include <sys/ptrace.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <assert.h>

int main(void)
{
int pid, status;

pid = fork();
if (!pid) {
for (;;) {
if (!fork())
return 0x23;
assert(waitpid(-1, &status, 0) > 0);
assert(status == 0x2300);
}
}

assert(ptrace(PTRACE_ATTACH, pid, 0,0) == 0);
assert(waitpid(-1, NULL, 0) == pid);

assert(ptrace(PTRACE_SETOPTIONS, pid, 0, PTRACE_O_TRACEFORK) == 0);

for (;;) {
ptrace(PTRACE_CONT, pid, 0, 0);
pid = waitpid(-1, NULL, 0);
assert(pid > 0);