Re: [096/104] rtc: Disable the alarm in the hardware

From: Jonathan Nieder
Date: Tue Jan 03 2012 - 11:27:34 EST

Hi Greg,

Greg KH wrote:

> 3.1-stable review patch. If anyone has any objections, please let me know.
>
> ------------------
>
> From: Rabin Vincent <rabin.vincent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> commit c0afabd3d553c521e003779c127143ffde55a16f upstream.
>
> Currently, the RTC code does not disable the alarm in the hardware.
>
> This means that after a sequence such as the one below (the files are in the
> RTC sysfs), the box will boot up after 2 minutes even though we've
> asked for the alarm to be turned off.
[...]
> Fix this by disabling the alarm when there are no timers to run.

Seems to cause a regression. On the affected kernels (e.g., 3.1.5,
3.1.6, and 3.2-rc7) the patch has exactly the opposite of what you'd
expect --- the affected machines automatically power on a few minutes
after shutdown if and only if the patch is applied.

The affected machines all seem to be Toshiba Portege laptops.

Antonio-M. Corbi Bellot: Toshiba Portege R500
Marco Santos: Toshiba Portege Z830
Christophe Vu-Brugier: Toshiba Portege R830

Christophe tried reverting the above patch and the symptoms went away.
See http://bugs.debian.org/652869 for details. Please consider
reverting the patch from stable until this is resolved.

Thanks,
Jonathan