Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the s5p tree

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 03 2012 - 20:47:24 EST

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Kukjin Kim <kgene.kim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The driver-core tree changed usage(?) of sysdev_class and touched some files
> and the changed files have been merged into one file for some reason without
> driver-core's changes in samsung tree. So I just wanted to avoid the
> conflicts. Linus, how should/can I do in  this case?

Generally, unless the conflicts are *really* bad, just ignore them,
and let me sort them out. It's nice if you mention the fact that there
will be conflicts, and some people also send me a pre-merged tree that
has the conflicts fixed up, but in general it's much better if the
different trees ignore each other - that way we don't have random
merges that mean that I cannot pull one tree without pulling another.

If the conflicts are just insanely bad, I'll ask you to resolve them
for me when I hit them, but in general that's a sign that something
nasty is going on and people are developing in the wrong trees or just
stepping on each others toes too much.

Linus