Re: KVM guest-kernel panics double fault

From: Stephan Bärwolf
Date: Sat Jan 07 2012 - 21:33:43 EST

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.Hello, it is me again...

I improved the patch, so it is now working on bases of guest's pretends.
(For AMD and INTEL CPUs)
If anybody needs it, I can also publish my test-VM - just ask me...

On 12/29/11 11:04, Avi Kivity wrote:
> The PROT32 check should be qualifed by a checking the the guest cpuid
> vendor is not AMD. Otherwise a guest that was migrated from an AMD host
> to an Intel host (this is what this emulation was written for in the
> first place) will #UD unexpectedly.

There are strange AMDs out there, where also again legacy-mode
syscalls are not available - or even syscall at all is not available.
The implemented (according to doku) tests should now cover all
cases.

I also think I ovserved some strange behaviour according to cpuid after
migration (change from Intel to AMD - see picture:
http://matrixstorm.com/software/linux/kvm/20111229/cpuidmagic.jpg )
But it is possible it is "only" an qemu-kvm (0.14.1-r2) bug ...

The patch I wrote is against 3.2, but I always tested with linux 3.1.7.
Hopfully it solve the problems to your satisfaction this time.

regards Stephan