Re: Kswapd in 3.2.0-rc5 is a CPU hog

From: Nikolay S.
Date: Tue Jan 10 2012 - 22:52:17 EST

Ð ÐÑ., 10/01/2012 Ð 14:33 -0800, Andrew Morton ÐÐÑÐÑ:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:56:58 +0900
> KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, if I understand correctly,
> >
> > - dd's speed down is caused by kswapd's cpu consumption.
> > - kswapd's cpu consumption is enlarged by shrink_slab() (by perf)
> > - kswapd can't stop because NORMAL zone is small.
> > - memory reclaim speed is enough because dd can't get enough cpu.
> >
> > I wonder reducing to call shrink_slab() may be a help but I'm not sure
> > where lock conention comes from...
>
> Nikolay, it sounds as if this problem has only recently started
> happening? Was 3.1 OK?
>
> If so, we should work out what we did post-3.1 to cause this.

Yes, 3.1. was ok.
Recently I have upgraded to 3.2, and I can not reproduce the problem.
I'm now at 5 days uptime, the machine usage pattern, the software - all
the same, but the problem is not visible anymore:

PID USER S %CPU %MEM TIME+ SWAP COMMAND
14822 nowhere R 30 0.2 0:01.52 10m dd
416 root S 7 0.0 6:26.72 0 kswapd0

(also, kswapd run time after 5 days is only 6,5 seconds, whereas with
-rc5 it was 22 seconds after 5 days).

I can provide similar traces to see what has changed in kswapd's
activities (if it is of any value)