Re: RFC: usb: musb: Adding CPPI4.1 DMA driver under drivers/dma

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Sat Jan 14 2012 - 16:25:42 EST

Hello.

On 14-01-2012 0:10, Felipe Balbi wrote:

CPPI4.1 (Communication Port Programming Interface) is a TI specific DMA
controller used in multiple TI platform such as AM33x, DA8x, AM35x, TI81x.
The DMA engine is mainly used by musb controller on above platform.

There are (at least out of tree) platforms using CPPI 4.1 for Ethernet.

if they are out of tree, I'm sorry but we don't care about them. If they
are in tree, then that needs to be sorted out on the same patchset.

I'm not sure if Puma-5 is the only one using CPPI 4.1 for Etherhet, and not some new platfroms introduced just now like AM33x/TI81x.

It would involve changes in existing musb driver also for which current
plan is to maintain the compatibility of non-CPPI4.1 DMA in musb driver.

I didn't quite understand this part...

how come ? What he's saying is that while moving cppi-dma.c to

How come we are taling of cppi-dma.c at all? It's CPPI 3.0 driver having nothing in common with CPPI 4.1.

drivers/dma he will not move all the other dma engines (Inventra, OMAP,
TUSB-over-GPMC, etc).

The task is planned to be spitted into below subtasks.

(1) Post RFC on the API details, changes envisaged in musb driver and other
challenges

First of all, I foresee changes in drivers/dma/ to cope with the
entity in CPPI 4.1 called the queue manager (there's also buffer
manager but it wasn't implemented on DA8xx, so I didn't design any
API for it).

that's why the kernel is open source, right ? If we need to improve the
framework so that it understands other types of DMAs, so be it.

I just foresee difficulties here.

WBR, Sergei