Re: Chronic resource starvation.

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Mon Jan 16 2012 - 01:15:04 EST

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 23:43 -0600, Mike Mestnik wrote:

> Does fdatasync still cause this problem? I'm sure there must be
> some way to 'group' applications together that should be allowed to
> avoid this effect and even insert IO requests during the operation if
> given a high enough priority.

And btw, that resource prioritization exists now for both CPU and IO
resources, look into cgroups and ionice for non-cgroup IO. For the CPU
scheduler, you can automate task grouping by enabling SCHED_AUTOGROUP,
and some distros use a userland automation solution via systemd. I
don't know if systemd does IO group automation, but groups won't help
defective spinning media anyway.

-Mike