Re: Reboot hangs on VersaLogic Ocelot

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jan 16 2012 - 02:54:27 EST

(Cc:-ed Matthew Garrett)

* Michael D Labriola <mlabriol@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been troubleshooting a VersaLogic Ocelot SBC that's been
> hanging on reboot ever since I upgraded its BIOS. The
> conclusion I've come to is that commit e19e074 (x86: Fix
> reboot problem on VersaLogic Menlow boards) needs to be
> reverted.
>
> My system was rebooting fine (kernel v3.2) prior to upgrading
> the BIOS, but it turns out that the DMI string being looked
> for in the VersaLogic reboot quirk wasn't added until I
> upgraded the BIOS.
>
> Here's a summary of the behavior I encountered on my system
> (VL-EPMs-21a rev 1.00 w/ BIOS 6.5.102)
>
> - v2.6.37 reboot=bios is needed
>
> - v2.6.38-rc1: behavior changed, reboot=acpi is needed, reboot=kbd and
> reboot=bios result in system hang.
>
> - v2.6.38: VersaLogic patch (e19e074 x86: Fix reboot problem on
> VersaLogic Menlow boards) was applied prior to v2.6.38-rc7. This
> patch sets a quirk for VersaLogic Menlow boards that forces the use
> of reboot=bios, which doesn't work anymore. As far as I can tell,
> there's no way to override this faulty quirk, as it seems to take
> precedence over the reboot= argument.

That's another bug i'd argue - the user specifying something on
the boot command line should *always* override the kernel's
built-in defaults.

> - v3.2: It seems that commit 660e34c (x86: Reorder reboot method
> preferences) changed the default reboot method to acpi prior to
> v3.0-rc1, which means the default behavior is appropriate for the
> Ocelot. After reverting commit e19e074, my system reboots perfectly
> w/out passing any reboot= arguments. I confirmed that this is a
> true statement for all 3 versions of the Ocelot's BIOS.

And this works for the older BIOS version as well, the one which
motivated commit e19e074?

Please send a patch that removes the quirk (not named a revert -
as technically the old quirk did solve problems), with the
changelog containing your (excellent) bug analysis and the test
coverage above, plus a signoff?

Matthew, do you concur? Looks like your reordering changes
actively improved the default behavior and we can start removing
quirks.

Thanks,

Ingo