Re: [git patches] libata updates for 3.3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Jan 16 2012 - 15:27:14 EST

On 01/16/2012 03:21 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/tmp/ahci_quirk_cleanup.diff

Hmm. This with just a setup option to enable it might well be good
enough. No need for whitelists/blacklists, since we couldn't maintain
those sanely anyway.

That patch doesn't work for me. I get a panic in ahci_enable_ahci,
looks like 'mmio' is bogus there (attempting to dereference 0x01ffe6).

I notice that the PIIX device doesn't have any MMIO at all, it's all
PIO. Maybe there is some "need to enable MMIO thing" too. Or maybe I
used the wrong PCI ID when I added it to the quirk table.

Part of the problem with force-enable is that the MMIO BAR may need a value, and not have it. That, and an expectations mismatch between BIOS and kernel WRT mode (IDE/AHCI) has always been the reason why 'ahci=force' never made it in. It just never seemed to be reliable broadly.

I'm happy with anything we can get working reliably, even with the obvious proviso that 'ahci=force' would be a default-off, user-enabled option. It's always been motherboard/BIOS issues that got in the way.

Jeff