Re: [RFC 13/14] irq_domain: Remove 'new' irq_domain in favour ofthe ppc one

From: Michael Bohan
Date: Mon Jan 16 2012 - 21:47:23 EST

On 1/12/2012 4:31 PM, Rob Herring wrote:
You have removed the irq_alloc_descs call from the GIC which is a step
backwards. Several of the ARM DT enabled platforms are at the point they
can fully support dynamic virq base for each irqchip. I changed the
domain from legacy to linear and got things working. The issue with
linear is for SPARSE_IRQ. The default behavior on ARM for SPARSE_IRQ is
all nr_irqs are allocated at boot time before any controller is
initialized. The only platform with a GIC and requiring SPARSE_IRQ is
shmobile, but it is also the only one that calls irq_alloc_desc
functions for it's interrupts. So I think we are okay there. The problem
occurs when enabling SPARSE_IRQ for a non-DT platform with a GIC and
with irqchips that don't call irq_alloc_desc for their irqs. IMHO, this
should be an okay trade-off. There's no advantage to enabling SPARSE_IRQ
on ARM for platforms that don't require it. All the platforms with a GIC
have active work to convert to DT (except shmobile which I think is
okay), so it's a temporary issue.

I thought I would chime in here since this is very relevant to what we're doing on arm-msm. We are using Device Tree with the GIC. We also have several other interrupt chips, including one for a device that supports up to 32768 sparsely populated interrupts. Hence we are using SPARSE_IRQ to only allocate irq_descs on demand for this device.

To support this, I had to modify irq_domain_add() to not 'register' the domain. Eg. simply add the domain to the list, but do not initialize the hwirq values in the irq_data structure. This is because our irq_descs are allocated later based on Device Tree topology. This information is not available during of_irq_init().

But then I was left with the problem of managing irq_bases for multiple chip drivers. The problem with irq_alloc_desc() is that it doesn't allow you to allocate a range without allocating its corresponding resources. Meaning, I'd like to reserve a chunk of virqs, but not utilize any resources for them until I know they're necessary. This is where irq_domains comes in.

In order to support this properly, I decided it made sense to add a new API called irq_domain_find_free_range(). This walks the irq domains list, now sorted by domain->irq_base, to find the first available range of the size specified. Thus every irq chip then only needs to know the worst case number of interrupts it could ever support. The framework takes care of finding the specific virq base. And all of this information is available at of_irq_init() time. This all assumes that every chip driver registers with irq_domains.

I was planning on sending these patches out, but it seems like with Grant's patches, they may no longer be up to date. I was curious if any thought was given to supporting configurations like this the one I mentioned with the advent of these patches. I am happy to help test if you can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Mike

Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum