Re: [patch] x86, tsc: fix SMI induced variation in quick_pit_calibrate()

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 17 2012 - 00:16:15 EST

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Suresh Siddha
<suresh.b.siddha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I suspect we can either go back to 500ppm error tolerance:
>
>                        if ((d1+d2) >= delta >> 10)
>                                continue;
>
> or increase the MAX_QUICK_PIT_MS bit more.

Agreed. Either works for me. I think I'd prefer increasing
MAX_QUICK_PIT_MS, because 25ms is still a fairly short time, but the
better we can make the precision of the clock, the better off we'll be
later.

So let's just double MAX_QUICK_PIT_MS to 50, ok?

And since you've tested it, I'm perfectly happy to sign off on that
patch so you can add my signed-off-by line. And if you can write a
reasonable description for it, maybe we can get Ingo & co to apply it.

Linus