Re: [git patches] libata updates for 3.3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jan 17 2012 - 12:00:23 EST

On 01/16/2012 02:55 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
so old kernels used to be a tiny bit faster despite not doing that
async thing (still slower than I'd like: I'd think that we should be
able to resume devices in less than a second, but I don't know where
all the time goes)

In libata specifically, we remain peppered liberally with a bunch of msleep()'s all over the place, particularly when dealing with SATA phys. 10ms here, 20ms there, 200ms in sata_link_resume(), it all adds up when you're talking about fast boot.

For most hardware, we can scan ports in parallel, which gets you past the biggest annoyances, but not all of them.

Jeff