Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: make signal tracepoints more useful

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 17 2012 - 13:51:11 EST

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But do we really need to keep the old tracepoint? IOW, what if
> we simply rename it and add more info?

Quite frankly, unless somebody can point to something that breaks, I'd
rather just change the existing one.

Nobody outside of a few special cases uses tracepoints. *nobody*. The
only apps I have ever seen that matters to anybody ends up being
latencytop and powertop. If those two have been tested and don't care,
I don't think we should care.

Linus