Re: Latest kernel stable/longterm status

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat Jan 21 2012 - 08:48:32 EST

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 02:36:20PM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:52:12PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> > > I'm happy to work with whomever. Your original email with "it might
> > > be picked up by someone else, but I'm not going to promise anything"
> > > didn't seem that definite.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't want to put words in the mouth of someone else, but
> > given that Willy has done a great job with 2.4 and 2.6.16, I'm pretty
> > sure he will continue to do well with 2.6.32.
>
> Thanks for the nice comment :-) Please note that I did not work on
> 2.6.16, Adrian did, I only worked on .20 and .27.

Ah, you are right, sorry about that, too many different trees :)

But also note that Adrian didn't really follow the "stable rules", so I
don't count that as proper maintaining of that tree.

> Yes I'm still interested in taking over 2.6.32 when you give it up. I
> must admit I've got quite silent last months, slowly trying to find time
> to backport 2.6.32 fixes into .27, and still a bit afraid by the added
> complexity of the new publication model. Time will tell. This weel-end
> I hope to be able to produce 2.6.27.60-rc1.
>
> What is very important to me is that I want people to complain if they
> find that I'm too slow, as I don't want to degrade the quality of the
> stable series by taking a position someone would take better.

I don't think you will do a bad job at all, You'll do fine, if you need
any help, feel free to ask.

thanks,

greg k-h