Re: [RFCv3 0/9] perf tool: parser generator for events parsing

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue Jan 24 2012 - 11:26:14 EST

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 13:31 +0100, Jiri Olsa wrote:
> Here's new version of event parsing patchset. To summarize:
> - adding event parser bison/flex generator
> - the event syntax stays as it was
> - adding event format file sysfs attribute
> for pmu device

Added Greg to CC, please also see: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/16/148

Right, lets hope we can convince the sysfs people that a few lines are
ok.. if not we need to find another way to represent all this muck, one
alternative is exploding the whole thing into a sysfs hierarchy like:

format/event: config:0-7

format/config: config:0-63
format/config1: config1:0-63
format/config2: config2:0-63

that will of course consume loads more resources but if that's what it
takes :-(

> - adding new syntax to specify raw events based
> on the sysfs pmu's format attribute
> eg. "cpu/config=1,config1=2,config2=3/u"

fair enough, so we have the attributes from the $FORMAT thingy and (for
now) one hardcoded 'period' thing.

Should we worry about namespace collisions for the built-in vs format
provided names?

I suppose that once we get all this in (and it looks good from my pov),
we can start thinking about doing things like:

events/cycles: event=0x3c

Which together with:

format/event: config:0-7

would allow us to write something like: