Re: [RFC c/r 2/4] [RFC] syscalls, x86: Add __NR_kcmp syscall v7

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Fri Jan 27 2012 - 16:16:45 EST

Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > If my remember is correct, Andrew pointed out EINVAL is better than ENOENT.
>>
>> Ah yes. And really what it should be is
>> if (!filp1 || !filp2)
>> return -EBADF;
>>
>> At least EBADF is what you return if it is your process that doesn't
>> have the filedescriptor.
>>

> Eric, I've sent out version with
>
> if (filp1 && filp2)
> else
> ret = -EBADF;
>
> maybe you're lookin into previous version?

Yeah. Comments and patch passing in the night. It looks like you have
it right in your latest patch.

>> > ENOTSUP is better, I think. because of, EINVAL implicitly mean _caller_ is wrong.
>> > but in this case, it is not bad. only the kernel doesn't have enough
>> > feature.
>>
>> Careful a type compiled out should in principle match a type whose
>> support has not been implemented. That is the default case should match
>> what happens when you don't compile in sysvipc support.
>
> I don't get it :) Will -EINVAL be enough or not?

At the present time the only way we can get -EINVAL by not supporting a
type so there is no pressing need for something different.

However in the general case EINVAL is a pretty generic failure mode and
having something more precise that you can use to figure out what you
did wrong when calling a system call tends to help a great deal.

So I am favor of using a better error code if EOPNOTSUP or ENOTTY if we
can convince ourselves it is the proper error code.

Mostly it is bike shedding but it is a detail that getting it right will
help users of this interface in the long run.

Eric