Re: Ioctl warning for a partition

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Sat Jan 28 2012 - 09:41:47 EST

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 01/27/2012 08:28 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >Does that fix still need to be backported to -stable?
> >
> >Linux v3.0.18 + Debian stable userspace (mdadm v3.1.4) causes this on
> >boot (when mdadm runs in the initramfs):
> >
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 800c0910 to a partition!
> >mdadm: sending ioctl 800c0910 to a partition!
>
> The warnings are intended; the kernel will behave as before they
> were introduced. I'm monitoring reports and looking at them as they
> come in. They are harmless as long as the ioctls have always
> failed, and so far this has always been the case. As soon as we are
> reasonably certain, the warnings will go away.

I am aware of that. It is just that a previous message in this thread
implied the ioctls from mdadm had already been dealth with (i.e. should
not be issuing warnings anymore).

After it has been tested enough in mainline, please make sure to direct
all patches related to this issue to stable@xxxxxx

Henrique Holschuh