Re: [patch v7, kernel version 3.2.1] net/ipv4/ip_gre: Ethernetmultipoint GRE over IP

From: David Miller
Date: Tue Jan 31 2012 - 19:11:10 EST

From: Štefan Gula <steweg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 00:32:04 +0100

> About the new API. Openvswitch is using it's own GRE code, with it's
> own API. So if the finally NVGRE or VXLAN will be added to
> openvswitch,it doesn't breaks anything to leave also my API as is.

You don't understand.

If your code is superfluous in the end, we shouldn't add it in
the first place.

But if I do relent and let your code in now, we have to live
with it, and it's associated maintainence costs, FOREVER.

That's why I'm forcing this to be implemented properly from the start,
so we don't end up with two pieces of code that provide essentially
the same functionality.