Re: Direct i/o changes break all non-GPL file systems

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sat Feb 11 2012 - 11:19:28 EST

Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> and should not be used by any modules; don't export it at all
> 3) it's a layering violation that unfortunately still is needed for
> an in-tree module. The *only* case where I'd consider EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL
> borderline useful, as a bad proxy for EXPORT_SYMBOL_DONT_USE_OUT_OF_TREE.

I had the namespace patches to make this explicit some time ago

http://lwn.net/Articles/259839/

This allows to export specific symbols only for special other modules,
in case it's only a single module that needs a "backdoor"

I can look at resubmitting the patchkit.

-Andi
--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only