OT question on top/htop/etc system monitors

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Feb 11 2012 - 14:08:08 EST

Greetings all;

Users of the RTAI facility to run certain processes on a cpu core that has
been isolated by the boot parameter 'isolcpus=n' command need to be able to
confirm that the process so launched is indeed using x% of that cpu core.

There doesn't appear to be any facility in such as htop, to actually
determine this usage. In fact, if we taskset the whole linuxcnc (was emc
till the lawyers wrote) gkrellm is the only utility that does show any
usage of that isolated core. Then of course its quite high because every
thread in the program is running on that core.

Is the monitoring of an isolcpus defined core even possible?

And if possible, could it be added to htop so it displays the core that the
RTAI threads are running on?

It would sure give us another tool to help optimize this application.

Thanks and Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
We totally deny the allegations, and we're trying to identify the
allegators.