Re: [v7 0/8] Reduce cross CPU IPI interference

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Feb 15 2012 - 10:11:51 EST

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 22:24 +0200, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> I think the concept of giving the task some way to know if the tick is
> disabled or not is nice.
> Not sure the exact feature and surely not the interface are what we
> should adopt - maybe
> allow registering to receive a signal at the end of the tick when it
> is disabled an re-enabled?

Fair enough, I indeed missed that property. And yes that makes sense.

It might be a tad tricky to implement as things currently stand, because
AFAICR Frederic's stuff re-enables the tick on kernel entry (syscall)
things like signal delivery or a blocking wait for it might be 'fun'.

But I'll have to defer to Frederic, its been too long since I've seen
his patches to remember most details.