Re: sched: Performance of Trade workload running inside VM

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Feb 15 2012 - 12:45:12 EST

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 23:08 +0530, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
> * Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> [2012-02-15 18:24:11]:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 22:40 +0530, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
> > > Ok ..let me see if these numbers highlight the problem better.
> >
> > does this translate like: I've no fscking clue,
>
> I'd mentioned a possible reason earlier which is limiting VM1 to reach higher
> utilization (which is the time it waits for cpu after wakeup):
>
> >b. In the "all VMs active" case, VM1's vcpu tasks were found to incur
> > "high" wait times when ttwo of VM1's tasks were scheduled on the same
> > CPU (i.e a VCPU task had to wait behind a sibling VCPU task for
> > obtaining CPU resource).
>
> Let me get cpu wait time data and post it by tomorrow.
>
> > but my tinker made it go away?
>
> Do you have any other suggestions for me to try?

I'm still waiting for a problem description that isn't a book.

What does the load-balancer do, why is it wrong, why does your patch
sort it etc.

I've really no idea what you're trying to do, other than make your
numbers improve (which while a noble goal, doesn't help in judging your
patch or suggesting alternative means of getting there).