Re: will these methods work with firmware loading?

From: Arend van Spriel
Date: Mon Feb 20 2012 - 05:33:08 EST

On 02/20/2012 11:19 AM, Kay Sievers wrote:
For that
> problem I would say yes. Also here the problem of handling error flows
> exist. If the driver is kicked of during boot with a initramfs missing the
> firmware, should we retry until the real root is mounted?
I don't think so. Drivers are not supposed to know about bootup or
initramfs issues. If they want, they can disable the timeout, and wait
for userspace to handle the request any time later, but they should
not try to be smart here.

Currently, firmware requests are cancelled if the firmware isn't
found, but that's a userspace issue, and nothing the kernel should try
to work around.

I can not agree more. I prefer to keep my driver happily unaware. I will just take the firmware loading away from the module init path and stop worrying about userspace issues ;-)

Gr. AvS