Re: perf record: can I specify multiple events and use differentsample-after value

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Thu Feb 23 2012 - 02:25:19 EST

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Namhyung Kim <namhyung@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Namhyung Kim <namhyung.kim@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying use perf tool from the linux kernel package to measure
several raw PMU events. In the manpage of perf-record there is an "-l"
option (Scale counter values), which is useful for my case because I
want to know the total counter value, not just sample count. However
it seems the -l is not recognized, is this expected? How can I get a
total count?

"perf report --show-total-period" will be your friend.

Or else, why not simply run "perf stat"?

My purpose is to get some PMU counter value during each time interval,
only perf record can do this. When using perf record -F, I have to add
up all period value for some event in a some interval to get that
value. When perf record -c, things get a easier, just (sample count x
sample after value) will do, only hassle is to get sample count in
some time interval. However, perf record don't have an option to do
this.

doesn't work for you? It will show you the value, won't it?

Thanks,
Namhyung