Re: responsiveness: newer kernels causing lagging and blocking

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 23 2012 - 12:29:28 EST

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Chris Wilson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One mystery that has never been resolved is just why wine causes a flood
> of xrandr/connection probes, and then there is still the underlying issue
> that probing blocks the device and causes noticeable latency.

Is there any chance that the EDID code would just have a "if I probed
in the last second or two, let's not do it again and instead just
return the cached data from last time" thing to just protect against
some odd interrupt flood (or a user that asks for edid information
explicitly like xrandr).

Linus