Re: Can we move device drivers into user-space?

From: Jidong Xiao
Date: Fri Feb 24 2012 - 12:21:27 EST

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Um, who is having such a debate?  We aren't, so I don't think the debate
>> > has ever started.
>> >

>> Here is the classic debate between Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Linus Torvalds:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanenbaum%E2%80%93Torvalds_debate
>
> That was 20 years ago, to assume that anyone rational was still having
> that debate today is insane.

You probably missed the second paragraph.

"This subject was revisited in 2006 after Tanenbaum wrote a cover
story for Computer magazine titled "Can We Make Operating Systems
Reliable and Secure?".[3] While Tanenbaum himself has mentioned that
he did not write the article to renew the debate on kernel design,[4]
the juxtaposition of the article and an archived copy of the 1992
debate on the technology site Slashdot caused the subject to be
rekindled.[5] Torvalds posted a rebuttal of Tanenbaum's arguments via
an online discussion forum,[6] and several technology news sites began
reporting the issue.[7] This prompted Jonathan Shapiro to respond that
most of the field-proven reliable and secure computer systems use a
more microkernel-like approach.[8]"