Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] ioatdma: Boot process hangs then reboots whenusing Xen + Linux 3.2

From: Bastian Blank
Date: Fri Mar 02 2012 - 15:56:16 EST

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 12:16:47PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Bastian Blank <waldi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> The assumption is that the driver's control structures are not in high
> >> memory so all address values will only have 32-bits of valid data,
> > Can you back that up by some kernel documentation? There is a reason why
> > pci_alloc_pool uses dma_addr_t to store the address and _not_ unsigned
> > long. This are physical addresses, nothing the kernel can access
> > directly without a mapping.
> High memory can only be accessed with kmap(), so the assumption is
> that dma_alloc never gives a buffer address above 32-bits on a 32-bit
> build. Yes, if HIGHMEM64G is set dma_addr_t becomes 64-bit, but that
> is only to access high memory mapped application buffers via dma_map.

All memory needs to be mapped. Linux just have a default mapping of 1GiB
of the memory handy. However this is irrelevant for the physical DMA
addresses we talk about.

A assume this devices have a DMA mask of 2^64, so they can address
memory above the 4GiB. And the kernel will happily assign this memory
if necessary or usefull.

> I'm not aware of any documentation in this area.

There is; the header files qualifies as documentation.

> I don't mind bumping up the size if xen32 is changing the above
> assumptions, but I'd want confirmation that this is the failure
> scenario.

At least it looks pretty wrong to remove four bits from a given address
just for fun.

Bastian

--
Respect is a rational process
-- McCoy, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3