Re: getdents - ext4 vs btrfs performance

From: Jacek Luczak
Date: Sat Mar 03 2012 - 17:41:47 EST

2012/3/2 Chris Mason <chris.mason@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 03:16:12PM +0100, Jacek Luczak wrote:

>> > Do you have stats on how big these files are, and how fragmented they
>> > are?  For acp and spd to give us this, I think something has gone wrong
>> > at writeback time (creating individual fragmented files).
>>
>> How big? Which files?
>
> All the files you're reading ;)
>
> filefrag will tell you how many extents each file has, any file with
> more than one extent is interesting.  (The ext4 crowd may have better
> suggestions on measuring fragmentation).
>
> Since you mention this is a compile farm, I'm guessing there are a bunch
> of .o files created by parallel builds.  There are a lot of chances for
> delalloc and the kernel writeback code to do the wrong thing here.

This took some time be here it goes ...

* B size files - total: 1064462 (53.81%)
| Size range | File cnt | Fragmented | Fragmented % |
| [0,100) | 288702 | 0 | 0 |
| [100,200) | 165997 | 0 | 0 |
| [200,300) | 45993 | 0 | 0 |
| [300,400) | 64883 | 0 | 0 |
| [400,500) | 39282 | 0 | 0 |
| [500,600) | 61612 | 0 | 0 |
| [600,700) | 208822 | 0 | 0 |
| [700,800) | 64016 | 0 | 0 |
| [800,900) | 58181 | 0 | 0 |
| [900,1024) | 66974 | 0 | 0 |

* K size files - total: 907375 (45.86%)
| Size range | File cnt | Fragmented | Fragmented % |
| [1,2) | 285481 | 0 | 0 |
| [2,3) | 148461 | 0 | 0 |
| [3,4) | 102569 | 0 | 0 |
| [4,5) | 45089 | 0 | 0 |
| [5,6) | 44223 | 0 | 0 |
| [6,10) | 94202 | 0 | 0 |
| [10,20) | 83760 | 0 | 0 |
| [20,30) | 42548 | 0 | 0 |
| [30,40) | 15274 | 0 | 0 |
| [40,50) | 4060 | 0 | 0 |
| [50,60) | 3517 | 0 | 0 |
| [60,100) | 7834 | 0 | 0 |
| [100,1024) | 30357 | 0 | 0 |

*M size files - total: 6312 (0.33%)
| Size range | File cnt | Fragmented | Fragmented % |
| [1.10) | 5806 | 100 | 1.72 |
| [10,100) | 482 | 200 | 41.49 |
| [100,1024) | 24 | 13 | 54.16 |

All files scanned: 1978149
Files fragmented: 313 (0.015%) where 11 have 3+ extents
Total size of fragmented files: 7GB (~13% of dir size)

tar cf on fragmented files:
1) time: 7sec
2) sw graph: http://91.234.146.107/~difrost/seekwatcher/tar_fragmented.png
3) sw graph with spd_readdir:
http://91.234.146.107/~difrost/seekwatcher/tar_fragmented_spd.png
4) both on one:
http://91.234.146.107/~difrost/seekwatcher/tar_fragmented_pure_spd.png

tar cf of fragmented files disturbed with [40,50) K files (in total
4373 files). K files before fragmented M files:
1) size: 7.2GB
2) time: 1m 14sec
3) sw graph: http://91.234.146.107/~difrost/seekwatcher/tar_disturbed.png
4) sw graph with spd_readdir:
http://91.234.146.107/~difrost/seekwatcher/tar_disturbed_spd.png
5) both on one:
http://91.234.146.107/~difrost/seekwatcher/tar_disturbed_pure_spd.png

I will perform same tests on btrfs tomorrow.

-Jacek