Re: speakup bug

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Sat Mar 03 2012 - 19:27:00 EST

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 06:01:07PM -0600, John G. Heim wrote:

> Do you recall if they gave a reason for not wanting to use the serial layer?
> I don't even know what the serial layer is (although the name is descriptive
> enough and I can guess).But I would think they'd have had some reason for
> not wanting to do that.

Looking at the code, I'm going to guess that it's largely historical.
I'd guess that original core code was originally written for MS-DOS
(main.c? RLY?), and once they got it working, they never went back to
fix things. Even if it wasn't the most efficient way to do things, I
suspect most of the blind community didn't care once it was working
--- and they probably didn't have anyone who really understood the tty
line discpline layer, since it wasn't very well documented.

- Ted