Re: [patch v2] x86, efi: fix pointer math issue in handle_ramdisks()

From: walter harms
Date: Tue Mar 06 2012 - 03:44:25 EST

Am 05.03.2012 20:33, schrieb H. Peter Anvin:
> On 03/05/2012 10:42 AM, walter harms wrote:
>>

>> Am 05.03.2012 19:06, schrieb Dan Carpenter:
>>> "filename" is a efi_char16_t string so this check for reaching the end
>>> of the array doesn't work. We need to cast the pointer to (u8 *) before
>>> doing the math.
>>>
>>> This patch changes the "filename" to "filename_16" to avoid confusion in
>>> the future.
>>>

>> maybe it is a bit late, but ...
>> is efi_char16_t a generic requirement for EFI ? perhaps we can use wchar_t
>> since it is intended for such cases. additional we would get an api for free.
>>

> wchar_t is typically 32 bits on Linux. 16-bit anything is a major fail
> since Unicode doesn't actually fit in 16 bits.

hi,

yep, but i was asking about efi. The basic idea is of cause to map efi_char16_t -> wchar_t
and back and make this a prototype for every driver that needs a special charset.
That would make it possible to recycle the wcs* interface of libc.
IMHO it seems more reasonable than adding one for each (upcoming) type.

re,
wh