Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git 1.7.10-rc0

From: Thomas Rast
Date: Thu Mar 08 2012 - 05:24:03 EST

Junio C Hamano <gitster@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> * Parallel to the test suite, there is a beginning of performance
> benchmarking framework.

I just noticed that this does not work on OS X; its 'time' does not
support the -f option. For now I think I'm happy; it can compare
several versions of Git on Linux to detect performance improvements or
regressions. Comparability across systems or platforms was never a main
goal.

In the long run we'll have to change it to either use 'time -p'
everywhere and parse that into shape -- at least GNU and OS X agree on
what POSIX specifies ;-) -- or just supply a small helper utility that
does the timings for us in a ready-to-use format.

--
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch