Re: [advice sought] EOMA68 kernel support

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sat Mar 10 2012 - 07:59:04 EST

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 06:45:15 +0000
lkcl luke <luke.leighton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM, lkcl luke <luke.leighton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > the implications of that split, for the linux kernel source code, are
> > a bit... scarey :)
>
> ... so, real simple very basic, concrete and necessary question:
> where the hell in the linux kernel tree should support for eoma68 be
> added??

It sounds to me like a bus.

> * driver support can't be added to drivers/ because although a device
> with an EOMA68 CPU card *requires* drivers, it's not *actual* drivers
> being added, it's driver *grouping* code that's required, and that
> concept simply does... not... exist.

Actually we stick busses in drivers too (see pci...)

> * architecture support can't be added to arch/ because that contains
> code for CPUs not code that is about helping to support multiple CPUs.
> eoma isn't a CPU.

See above.. it's a bus

> very basic question. where the hell should EOMA support source code go?
>
> bearing in mind that the first CPU card is an Allwinner A10, the next
> one is likely to be an AMD Fusion, the one after that could be from
> icubecorp, the one after that a multi-core SMP xtensa, etc.

Off the top of my head I suspect you want

drivers/eoma68/

which is the bus interface and glue including reading the device tree
data for the current board you are plugged into and building a device
tree from that.

lib/eoma68

or some similar name, which is the library routines everything using
eoma68 needs

arch/[x86.arm,..]/platform/eoma68/..

probably the platform code for each system.

I don't btw see the problem with your device trees and display. If you've
got a device tree on *both* the CPU card and the I/O boards then you've
got all the data in the right places.

Alan