Re: Fwd: Control page reclaim granularity

From: Zheng Liu
Date: Mon Mar 12 2012 - 11:10:32 EST

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:42:26PM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 04:14:14PM +0800, Zheng Liu wrote:

I don't think this is a disadvantage. This per-inode reclaim
granularity is useful for us. Actually I have thought to implement a
per-inode memcg to let different file sets to be reclaimed separately.
So maybe we can provide two mechanisms to let the user to choose how to
use them.

> > the function returns referenced > 1. Then this page can be promoted into
> > activate list. But I prefer to set/clear this flag in madvise.
>
> Hmm, My idea is following as,
> If we can set new VM flag into VMA or something, reclaimer can check it when shrink_[in]active_list
> and he can prevent to deactivate/reclaim if he takes a look the page is in VMA which
> are set by new VM flag and the page is referenced recently at least once.
> It means it gives one more round trip in his list(ie, active/inactive list)
> rather than activation so that the page would become less reclaimable.

No matter what the page is given one more round trip or is promoted into
active list, it can satisfy our current requirement. So now the
question is which is better. If we add a new VM flag, as you said
before, vma->vm_flags has no room for it in 32 bit. I have noticed that
this topic has been discussed [1] and the result is that vm_flags is
still a unsigned long type. So we need to use a tricky technique to solve
it. If we add a new flag in struct addpress_space, it might be easy to
implement it.

1. http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1104.1/00975.html

Regards,
Zheng