Re: [ 08/12] mac80211: zero initialize count field in ieee80211_tx_rate

From: Mohammed Shafi Shajakhan
Date: Mon Mar 12 2012 - 12:10:56 EST

On Monday 12 March 2012 09:25 PM, Mohammed Shafi Shajakhan wrote:
Hi Ben,

On Monday 12 March 2012 08:53 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 12:22 +0530, Mohammed Shafi Shajakhan wrote:
Hi Willy,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:06:23AM +0530, Mohammed Shafi Shajakhan
wrote:
So I'm pretty sure this patch is wrong for 2.6.32; it could be
backported but I don't think the change is necessary anyway.

true, but i think its better to initialize the count = 0 rather than
count = 1, though the older version driver checks for rate[i].idx>= 0
in ath_rc_tx_status. while the ath_tx_status has no such iteration in
the older driver code.

In practice, if the patch brings nothing and not even correctness, I'd
rather drop it than make us believe that some issue is fixed. However
if you think it does happen to fix a real issue in 2.6.32 (possibly
combined with some other missing patch), please tell me so and I will
happily undelete it.

we can drop it. also as there was no driver code checking for
rate[i].count in the 2.6.32 driver. i am also not sure this fixes
something in 2.6.32 but the patch itself is correct.
[...]

Please read and answer the *whole* of my earlier message. The later
code in the rate_control_get_rate() function in 2.6.32 does appear to
depend on .count = 1, and there may be code elsewhere that does so too.

are you referring to those code in tx.c ieee80211_tx_h_rate_control.
sorry if i had again missed something.

if you are referring to that rate[0].count should be definitely non-zero. at least the first rate should be non-zero as the drivers rate control algorithm should properly fill it up, or mac80211's rate_control_send_low should fill it up by 1 for 'no ack frames'
(or) max retries set by the driver for other frames(recently NULL func
is added connection monitoring frame whose status will be needed).

--
thanks,
shafi