Re: Extending coredump note section to contain filenames

From: Denys Vlasenko
Date: Mon Mar 12 2012 - 15:45:47 EST

On 03/12/2012 08:08 PM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:58:31 +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
This is better, isn't it?
Wouldn't it be nice if gdb would retrieve binary's name by itself?

Yes, that yum should have been executed automatically, instead of just
suggested by that:
Try: yum --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo='*-debuginfo' install /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/ec/1fd70dbee0db36eff9527254d9d2bbfd260f13

My network is down. "yum install" won't work.

But this is a user interface issue, it was discussed with PackageKit people
etc. but it went nowhere.

Sorry but I cannot code the whole OS myself including all the Gnome UI
interfaces.

(BTW: nothing prevents it from checking build ids and refusing
to use it if they don't match.)

And if they do not match it will need to run the yum command above anyway.
So why to code two ways where the first one (by filename) works only sometimes
while the second way works always?

My network is down. "yum install" won't work.

Does it follow from the above that filenames are *never* useful?

They can be sometimes useful but they are superseded by build-ids; with
build-ids they can be safely ignored.

I just gave you an example where filename is useful.
--
vda