Re: [GIT PULL/NEXT] sched/arch: Introduce thefinish_arch_post_lock_switch() scheduler callback

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Mar 13 2012 - 09:31:39 EST

* Russell King <rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Instead you first pushed back on *me*, then you claimed that
> > you are not responsible for what you pull, then you started
> > zapping
>
> No I did not. What I said was that I'm not responsible for
> the points at which people choose to base their patches, which
> is something entirely different. [...]

What are you talking about?

Firstly, in general *every single bit* of what you pull,
including the base, the patch titles, the commit logs, the
signoff chain, etc. is all part of the picture and you
absolutely should require your contributors and submaintainers
to do a fine job with all that.

No ifs and whens about that - it all becomes your responsibility
as well when you decide to pull from people.

Instead you are now teaching them the exact *opposite*: for
example you have just declared that you don't feel responsible
for the base kernel ...

Using a sane base is IMHO part of Git pull 101. Teaching
contributors or submaintainers to not use too old base kernels
(or too new ones, for example during the merge window) is an
important part of the picture.

A basic rule for bases is to either use the previous stable
kernel release, of if that's not possible then use the freshest
-rc available at the time of the commit - which by my quick look
should have been about -rc6, not -rc3.

Secondly, my other problem was that this all surfaced today, at
-rc8 time, shortly before the merge window, a very busy period
of time.

If this was committed a month ago, if you indeed saw the
conflict earlier proves *more* workflow breakage IMO: you pushed
it upstream despite being aware of it being the result of a
slightly suboptimal base, without asking whether the scheduler
folks are still fine with all that?

Thirdly, all this totally ignores the issue you still have not
answered: why did you leave PeterZ public lkml question about
this unanswered:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/16/232

PeterZ's request to put this into a separate branch was totally
reasonable IMHO - and could have avoided this long thread,
amongst other things. Instead you've mixed it with other bits.

Really, my quick impression is that you should learn to push
back downstream a bit, especially as I didn't even ask for a
rebase, a revert or anything other drastic.

Thanks,

Ingo