Re: [RFC] c/r: prctl: Add ability to set new mm_struct::exe_file v3

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Tue Mar 13 2012 - 11:51:40 EST

On 03/13, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> Matt, Oleg, there is a final version I hope,
> which should fit everyone.

Well, this version looks correct, but you are checking the same
condition twice, with the different comments. This is confusing.

> +static int prctl_set_mm_exe_file(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned int fd)
> +{
> + struct file *exe_file;
> + struct dentry *dentry;
> + int err;
> +
> + /*
> + * Setting new mm::exe_file is only allowed
> + * when no VM_EXECUTABLE vma's left. This is
> + * a special C/R case when a restored program
> + * need to change own /proc/$pid/exe symlink.
> + * After this call mm::num_exe_file_vmas become
> + * meaningless.
> + */
> + if (mm->num_exe_file_vmas)
> + return -EBUSY;
> +
> + exe_file = fget(fd);
> + if (!exe_file)
> + return -EBADF;
> +
> + dentry = exe_file->f_path.dentry;
> +
> + /*
> + * Because the original mm->exe_file
> + * points to executable file, make sure
> + * this one is executable as well to not
> + * break an overall picture.
> + */
> + err = -EACCES;
> + if (!S_ISREG(dentry->d_inode->i_mode) ||
> + exe_file->f_path.mnt->mnt_flags & MNT_NOEXEC)
> + goto exit;
> +
> + err = inode_permission(dentry->d_inode, MAY_EXEC);
> + if (err)
> + goto exit;
> +
> + /*
> + * For security reason changing mm->exe_file
> + * is one-shot action.
> + */
> + down_write(&mm->mmap_sem);
> + if (likely(!mm->exe_file))

This means that the num_exe_file_vmas check at the start is not needed.
If you want it as a "fast-path" check, please fix the comment. Or just
remove it. Otherwise the code looks as if we have to check them both.

Matt, is it really possible to hit mm->exe_file = NULL in
removed_exe_file_vma ? Unless I missed something, this check just
hides the potentional problem, no?

IOW, shouldn't it do

void removed_exe_file_vma(struct mm_struct *mm)
{
WARN_ON(!mm->exe_file);
WARN_ON(mm->num_exe_file_vmas <= 0);

if (!--mm->num_exe_file_vmas) {