Re: RFC: memory leak in udp_table_init

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Mar 15 2012 - 13:44:29 EST

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 04:33:38AM -0800, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> > > On this unrelated topic. What algorithm did you use on NetBSD for
> > > dealing with pids?
> >
> > Basically I forced the hash chain length to one by allocating
> > a pid that hit an empty entry in the table.
> >
> > So you start off with (say) 64 entries and use the low 6
> > bits to index the table. The higher bits are incremented
> > each time a 'slot' is reused.
> > Free entries are kept in a FIFO list.
> > So each entry either contains a pointer to the process,
> > or the high bits and the index of the next free slot.
> > (and the PGID pointer).
> > When there are only (say) 2 free entries, then the table
> > size is doubled, the pointers moved to the correct places,
> > the free ist fixed up, and the minimum number of free entries
> > doubled.
> >
> > The overall effect:
> > - lookup is only ever a mask and index + compare.
> > - Allocate is always fast and fixed cost (except when
> > the table size has to be doubled).
> > - A pid value will never be reused within (about) 2000
> > allocates (for 16bit pids, much larger for 32bit ones).
> > - Allocated pid numbers tend to be random, certainly
> > very difficult to predict.
> > - Small memory footprint for small systems.
> > For pids we normally avoid issuing large values, but
> > will do so to avoid immediate re-use on systems that
> > have 1000s of active processes.
> >

> You describe a hash table mechanism still, and you made chain lengthes
> be 0 or 1.
>
> This GEN_ID/SLOT schem is the one used in IBM AIX for pid allocations
> (with a 31 (or was it 32) bit range). They did not use FIFO, because
> they tried to use lower slots of the proc table.
>
> Hashes values in network land are unpredictable, so we cannot make sure
> a slot contains at most one entry.
>
> Note: If you manage 4 million tcp sockets in your server, hash table
> must be at _least_ 4 million slots. I would not call that suboptimal as
> you said in your previous mail.
>
> We could argue that default sizes of these hash tables (ip route,
> tcp, ...) are now more suited for high end uses instead of
> desktop/embedded uses, because ram sizes increased so much last 10
> years.
>
> [ We added in commits 0ccfe61803ad & c9503e0fe05 a 512K limits for
> tcp/ip route hash tables to stop insanity, but thats it ]
>
> RCU lookups make dynamic resizes of these hash table a bit complex.
> IIRC David Miller have submitted a patch but this work was not
> completed. Not sure its an issue these days, as we prefer to work on ip
> route cache (and its associated hash table) removal anyway.

One approach is to put a pair of list_head structures in each object, then
proceed as Herbert Xu did: http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2010/02/28/20.

There is another RCU-protected resizable hash table with the userspace
RCU library: http://lttng.org/urcu. And another approach is described
in a USENIX paper:

http://www.usenix.org/event/atc11/tech/final_files/Triplett.pdf

Thanx, Paul